Families of Victims Commemorate First Bali Bombing

Families of the victims of the first Bali bombing and a number of foreign tourists commemorated the 12th anniversary of the tragedy by conducting prayers and sowing flowers at a monument at Legian, Kuta, Badung District, Bali, Sunday. At around 08.30 am local time, representatives of the victims’ families accompanied by the Governor of Bali, Made Mangku Pastika and Australian Consulate General Majell Hind paid respect to the 202 victims whose names were written on the wall of the monument specially set up in remembrance of them.

The bustle of tourist activities in Legian turned into a moment of silence during a minute of observation. “This commemoration is not only to remember but also to remind people, government and the world that today twelve years ago a terrible humanitarian tragedy had occurred, whose impact we still feel until now,” the chairwoman of Wives and Children of Bali Bombing Foundation (Isana Dewata) Ni Luh Erniati said. Governor Made Mangku Pastika invited all people including the families of the victims and survivors to forgive the perpetrators.

“This commemoration must not revive their anger but must serve as a means of forgiving. However, we understand that it is hard to forget about it,” he said. Pastika who was the former of the First Bali Bombing Investigation Chief further invited all stake holders and the people to spread peace and preserve security in Bali. “No matter what your religion, skin color, or your works are, let us preserve the peace and tolerance,” he stated.

An Australian citizen, Jan Laczynski specially came to Bali to mourn over his best Balinese friend, I Wayan Tamba, who died in the tragedy. “I always come every year to Bali to pay respect to and remember my best friend,” he said. He came to the monument bringing flowers and an Australian flag and prayed in front of an empty land which was the former location of the Sari Club where the bombing occurred and always remembered his friend although it had been 12 years ago. “I hope there is no bombing again because it is so terrible,” he said.

source : the bali times

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: